Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Updated September 2, 2020
Please note that there have been several prior MAC updates. With the evolving situation with coronavirus (COVID-19), this notification supersedes and replaces any prior information.
Health and safety are always our first priority in Scouting. We want to keep you informed, but do not want to overwhelm with too much information and too frequent updates. We will strive to make updates timely, relevant, and responsive to the changing situation.
MAC is following the recommended guidelines of the CDC, the West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources, and any directives from the Governor or President. The general guideline is that if school is out, in-person Scout meetings and activities should be canceled.
- Council Service Center (Fairmont) – open for normal hours, mask required
- Scout Shop (Fairmont) – open for normal hours, mask required
- Camp Mountaineer – open for reservations as available, currently limited to groups of no more than 25, will close for use if Monongalia County is classified as red according to WV’s County Alert System
*Council Service Center & Scout Shop will continue to operate under the recommendations of the WV and Marion County health officials. Camp Mountaineer will continue to operate under the recommendations of the WV and Monongalia County health officials.
Unit (Pack/Troop/Crew) Operations:
Following the Safer at Home executive order, West Virginians are strongly encourage to stay at home unless (as one option) engaging in outdoor activities that adhere to social distancing and crowd size rules.
Units should first be in contact with their chartering organization and follow their policies and guidance on meetings and gatherings. If a unit (pack, troop, crew) decides to have in-person meetings, at-risk individuals should be strongly encouraged to stay at home, and units should continue to include plans to members who should not attend in-person meetings. Anyone who is not 100% well should not be allowed to participate. Units are asked to adhere to the crowd size rules set by WV or the county in which the gathering will take place, whichever is lower. Social distancing and use of masks/face coverings should be maintained. To keep groups small, it is recommended to focus on patrol/den activities and to limit troop/pack activities to brief times, maintaining spacing between patrols/dens, and conducting as much activity as possible outdoors, where virus viability is shorter and maintaining social distance is easier.
To coincide with WV’s County Alert System, units are recommended to not engage in any in-person activities or meetings if their county is in an orange or red status from the preceding Saturday’s report.
Read the BSA’s Restart Scouting Checklist for additional guidance.
What is still happening?
- Membership applications are still being processed as normal.
- Whenever possible or appropriate, meetings are being rescheduled or held via a multimedia platform. The online calendar at www.macbsa.org will have the most up-to-date information.
- Many Scouters, including staff and volunteers, are working on innovative program ideas that would allow Scouts to participate remotely when necessary. Continue to monitor our Facebook page for posted ideas. If you have an idea for something to share, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Camp Mountaineer is open for reservations.
- Our council staff are all available to assist you via phone, text, and email.
What events or meetings are cancelled or rescheduled?
- 4/4 College of Commissioner Science – canceled
- 4/5 Cheat District Pintwood Derby – canceled
- 4/18 BALOO Training – canceled
- 5/1-3 OA Induction Weekend – canceled
- 5/3 Spring Ox Roast – canceled
- 5/8-10 Cheat District Cub Adventure Weekend – canceled
- 5/14 Council Annual Recognition Dinner – postponed to 9/24
- 5/15-17 Heart of WV District Spring Camporee
- 5/29-31 Cheat District Show and Scout – canceled
- 6/13 Scout Day at WVU Rec Center & Cheat District Pinewood Derby – canceled
- 7/19-25 – Scouts BSA resident camp (week 3) canceled
- 7/30-8/3 – Cub Scout resident camp canceled
- 9/10 Elkins Good Scout Dinner – canceled
- Additional events will be added as needed
- For more information on the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the CDC website to review their guidelines.
- Here are 9 tips for speaking with young children about their concerns about coronavirus.
- And, here is information about coping with the many changes and stress that we all will be coping with in the weeks ahead.
- View the Scouting At Home Resources webpage for upcoming virtual events and program ideas
Safety at all levels is our priority. All of us need to work together to help to keep everyone safe and healthy. Let’s remember that “A Scout is Clean” and that means frequent hand-washing and keeping social distance!
Of course, this is an evolving situation and this guidance will change as more information becomes available. For any questions, please contact us at 304-366-3940 or email@example.com.