Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Updated March 20, 2020
Please note that there were prior MAC updates on March 12, March 13, and March 19, 2020. With the evolving situation with coronavirus (COVID-19), this notification supersedes and replaces any prior information.
Health and safety are always our first priority in Scouting. We want to keep you informed, but do not want to overwhelm with too much information and too frequent updates. We will strive to make updates timely, relevant, and responsive to the changing situation.
MAC is following the recommended guidelines of the CDC, the West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources, and any directives from the Governor or President. The general guideline is that if school is out, in-person Scout meetings and activities should be canceled.
- Council Service Center (Fairmont) – CLOSED beginning Monday, March 23
- Scout Shop (Fairmont) – CLOSED beginning Monday, March 23
- Camp Mountaineer – CLOSED for reservations through Sunday, April 19
What is still happening?
- Even though the Council Service Center is closed, the staff will still be available via phone call or email to assist as best as possible.
- Membership applications are still being processed as normal.
- Whenever possible, meetings are being rescheduled or held via a multimedia platform. Please see the list below. The online calendar at www.macbsa.org will have the most up-to-date information.
- Many Scouters, including staff and volunteers, are working on innovative program ideas that would allow Scouts to participate remotely. Continue to monitor our Facebook page for posted ideas. If you have an idea for something to share, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our camp ranger continues to work on the many projects at Camp Mountaineer while getting ready for a great summer camp season.
- The Camp Mountaineer staff are still hiring and now are rescheduling unit presentations while continuing to prepare for wonderful summer camp experiences. Click here to apply to be a member of the camp staff or reach out to the camp director, Grant Rumble, at email@example.com.
- Our District Executives and the Scout Executive are still available to assist you via phone, text, and email.
- For Life Scouts working on the rank of Eagle, the national BSA office is aware that this is a disruption and is diligently working on steps to ensure that no Scout is penalized on their path to Eagle. If you anticipate this becoming a problem, unit leaders are encouraged to contact the MAC office.
What meetings are being held via multimedia or telephone?
- 3/23 2021 National Scout Jamboree Committee – to be held virtually
- 3/26 Executive Committee Meeting & Area Progress Review – to be held virtually
- 4/1 Council Advancement & Recognition Committee – to be a conference call
- 4/4 OA Lodge Executive Committee – meeting information to be sent out
- 4/6 Council Camping Committee – to be a conference call
- 4/7 Council Development Committee – to be a conference call
- 4/7 Heart of WV Commissioner Staff – to be a conference call
- 4/9 Council STEM Committee – to be a conference call
- 4/9 Cheat District Commissioner Staff – to be a conference call
- Additional meetings will be added as needed
What events or meetings are cancelled or rescheduled?
- 4/1 Council Training Committee – canceled
- 4/4 College of Commissioner Science – canceled
- 4/5 Cheat District Pintwood Derby – canceled
- 4/16 Elkins Good Scout Dinner – postponed, date to be confirmed
- 4/18 BALOO Training – canceled
- 5/1-3 OA Induction Weekend – canceled
- 5/3 Spring Ox Roast – canceled
- 5/6 Council Training Committee – canceled
- Additional events will be added as needed
- For more information on the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the CDC website to review their guidelines.
- Here are 9 tips for speaking with young children about their concerns about coronavirus.
- And, here is information about coping with the many changes and stress that we all will be coping with in the weeks ahead.
Safety at all levels is our priority. All of us need to work together to help to keep everyone safe and healthy. Let’s remember that “A Scout is Clean” and that means frequent hand-washing and keeping social distance!
Of course, this is an evolving situation and this guidance will change as more information becomes available. For any questions, please contact us at 304-366-3940 or firstname.lastname@example.org.